Monday, June 16, 2008

6.16 Fire next door

Just after five o'clock I heard the rumbling of brakes outside. I looked out the window at the firetruck pulling up outside my house and started to get nervous.

Not my house, but the house next door. Firetrucks from our town and the three closest towns, local and county police/sheriff's departments, random other trucks with blue lights... It was a busy two hours until they all went away again.

The fire apparently started in the dehumidifier in the basement (should I be worried that I think we have the same manufacturer, maybe the same model?), and burnt a bunch of plastics, making a thick acrid smoke and an awful residue all over the inside of the house.

She was home and heard the "bang", got out, got the dog out, called the fire department right away. It could have been much worse, but I suspect that they will find it has been bad enough.

No comments: