Thursday, June 11, 2009

6.11 Telling it like it is...

We finished up with the knitted squares at the middle school yesterday. The counselor sponsoring the knitting provided ice cream bars and soda for a small party in the cafeteria where we could admire the results - about 50 squares. Pictures have been promised.

The sixth grade teacher also provided us with a bunch of thank you notes written by her class. We split them up and each took half, intended to swap them today (which did happen, but I haven't had a chance to read the second half yet). They were charming little notes, addressed to "the knitting fairies".

One of the boys was an engaging high energy guy, who declared after the second stitch that it was too hard, he couldn't possibly; he then declared after the first row, this is easy, this is so simple; and after the second day he declared that it was boring. I offered to teach him another stitch besides just garter stitch and he stared at me with big eyes - you mean there's more? Ummm, yes, there's as much more as you want.

His note, in part, said "I'm going to keep knitting this summer. It will be a good thing to do when I get grounded or when I'm really bored."

I'm sure it will be.

1 comment:

beadlizard said...

Oh, that's the best ever note!