Friday, April 30, 2010

4.30 Out of my comfort zone...

fudgebrownie
Meet Fudge Brownie. From Nistock Farms, one of our local shepherds, this is Cotswold roving, not the BFL or Merino/silk or DHF fine wool top that has made up the bulk of my spinning for the past couple of years. I'm working on going for woolen yarn, not worsted, and retaining the soft loftiness of the fiber prep. The result is not entirely satisfactory, but that's the fault of the spinner, not the fiber.

fbspun

I keep getting little slubs where the leading end of the fiber isn't being caught into the twist and it sits there all coiled up and smirking at me, although as the bobbin has gone on I think the frequency of occurrence is diminishing.

I think that we'll have to label this yarn "rustic".

3 comments:

Cookie said...

I think it looks lovely! Besides, this is how we learn and improve, yes?

xo

Manise said...

Very pretty and respectable singles Elizabeth! Don't be so hard on yourself. Are you making a 2 or 3 ply out of it? Love the color too!

gayle said...

Looks good. Cotswold is hard - I did about half a fleece and ripped out about half the hair on my head. Grrr...