Thursday, October 08, 2009

10.8 dye day

While I was running around trying not to dip my shawl in the indigo, I managed to come up with this:

dyeday2

being Jaggerspun Zephyr (wool/silk laceweight), dyed with (mordant)tin+goldenrod+indigo

and this: (the skein on the right)

dyeday1

These are both alpaca lacweight. The ball on the left was done at the last dye day with (mordant)alum + cochineal + indigo. This day's skein was (mordant)tin+cochineal+indigo.

The tin tends to strike on unevenly, and we had a full dye pot, so the yellow achieved with the goldenrod was quite variegated, from pale yellow to full on gold. This then went from blue to full on green and I really like it. The red from the cochineal wasn't quite so strikingly variegated, but you can see where the indigo left some bluer bits.

Both of these are destined to be shawls (what a surprise!). I'm thinking the tin/cochineal/indigo will form the stripe of one of the striped Icelandic shawls from the Triangle and Long Shawls book.

2 comments:

Stacey said...

Beautiful dying. I'm still waiting for Texas to make me my dye area. /sigh One of these trips home I guess

gayle said...

Oh! Both yarns are beautiful!
I have dyes and some projects in mind. Carving out the time has been the problem...