Monday, June 29, 2009

6.29 Red lilies

Red Carpet Lily
redcarpetlily

Not Red Carpet Lily
notredcarpetlily

They're both nice lilies, just not the same.

We have deer here, but by the time the lilies are up and vulnerable, the woods are green and attractive. You notice all of my lily pictures are at the front of the house. The garden at the back of the house is surrounded by a low fence which any deer would laugh at except that it smells like Dog inside (and often has a noisy pesky dog inside). Not quite attractive enough to come into the yard, except in the winter with lots of snow covering everything. Two years ago they pruned my weeping willow, pinched off all the ends of my red twig dogwood (both of which are outside the fence) and just about killed several of the neighbor's arbor vitae hedge which he had just put in.

2 comments:

Lene Andersen said...

That's beautiful. I've never seen lilies of that colour - they're quite... erm... what's the word I'm looking for? Insistent. I think that covers it. ;)

Elizabeth said...

Insistent. Yes. Saturated, possibly. They certainly attract the hummingbirds.