Friday, January 30, 2009

1.30 analysis

A friend of mine said a friend of hers was having trouble with a pattern - it just wasn't working and she was sure there was an error. I said I'd take a look and see if I could see anything.
Full of enthusiasm (or as much as I have nowadays - see Winter Doldrums), I started by checking stitch counts. Aha! Line 15 starts with 34 stitches in the repeat and ends with 37. Line 16 starts with 34 stitches...
Except that when I went to graph it out to see if I could fix it, it turns out that line 15 starts AND ends with 34 stitches in the repeat. So the most you could say about that is that line 15 is easy to misread.
Knitting this puppy I discovered several things: 1. The lace part of the pattern has that difficult transition from knit to purl with a yo in between where it is really really easy to lose the yo. One possible source of error. 2. Another row has a different transition where I lost stitches multiple times, but not always in the same place on the row. Annoying to have to check for. 3. The title of the piece is Lace and Cable Afghan but there really aren't any cables, just cable simulations at the junctions of the 34 stitch repeats. 4. There are two completely different pattern sequences in this afghan - one set for rows 1-12 and the other for rows 13-24. There are no transitions or delineations between the patterns - you just jump back and forth.
In talking with my friend, I think this last is why she thought there was an error in the pattern. She got to row 13 and it had no earthly connection to row 12 except that it was the next row. I don't know what her friend's problem may have been - I gave her the list of possibilities.
This is where a chart might have helped - at least it would have been obvious that there were two different patterns going on.
And frankly, I think the end result might be rather ugly.

No comments: