Monday, May 26, 2008

5.26 spring spun


This is what the spring fiber looks like spun up. I waffled about how to spin this. It's merino top, nicely prepped to be spun worsted, but I didn't feel like spinning worsted. I did a sort of cross between spinning from the fold and long draw, and as with many compromises it only sort of worked. The grist is a bit wonky in places, but the yarn will be useable. The interesting thing is that at one point in my spinning career, this would have been as good as I could do and I would have been really happy about the yarn. Now, I know I can do better, I just didn't want to spend the time to. Thanks to Abby, I know the word for this - waylaka.




This yarn isn't being made to be the best I can do. My focus on being the best I can do has been on my classwork. That focus is going to shift over to learning the new job. Right now, spinning is just for relaxation. So, yeah, it's not the best spinning I can do, but it's meeting my needs at the moment and, for a while, that's good enough.

No comments: