Monday, October 29, 2007

There are some dishes that are summer foods (BLTs spring to mind, or barbecued spare ribs), and there are some dishes that are meant for autumn.
Apple Crisp
4 to 6 apples, of a tart variety such as Stayman Winesap or Northern Spy, even better if they come off your own tree, although my tree gave me just enough for one time of making it, so if I want more crisp I need to go buy some
1 stick butter
3/4 c brown sugar
1 c rolled oats, preferrably the Old Fashioned kind rather than minute oats which will make the crumble soggy
Wash, core, (don't peel) and slice the apples into a 9 x 9 pan, or something of the approximate size (a deep dish pie pan works).
Melt the butter and stir in the sugar and oats. Optionally you can add 1/2 c raisins and/or 1/2 c chopped walnuts. Sometimes I do, just to annoy my children.
Spread the crumble across the sliced apples. Bake at 350 F for approximately 45 minutes or until a fork slides into the apples easily. Don't wait until the crumble is blackening around the edges (which is not something I did this year, but have been known to do at least once in the past). Let cool. What "cool" is is up to you, but I recommend not burning your mouth on it as this detracts fom the overall effect. Serve as is or with vanilla ice cream. Mostly we go for "as is".

1 comment:

margene said...

I made something similar last week. Apple Crisp is the perfect autumn dish! Yum.