Thursday, April 27, 2006

Fun with Color II

Take one bump white top (lovely soft stuff) and dye it as is; i.e. don't unroll it, just soak in water with detergent, then add to dye pot (Cushing's Navy Blue) in its now soggy state. Watch the outer layer drift apart and wonder about the inside. Once it has been through the bring-up-to-temperature and let-cool-down stages, drain it out.






Rewrap so the outside (now very dark blue) is on the inside, and the inside (now still mostly white with large flashes of pink and some blue) is on the outside. Don't bother soaking it again, it's still soggy. Make up a dyepot with Cushing's Cherry (that bluish red aforementioned in the previous post) and plop it in to repeat the heat and cool cycles.


Result:

I found the way that the various portions of each dye mix penetrated the bump to different depths interesting. I think if I were to do this again, I would pick colors that were variations of the same rather than two different colors so that the range of color would not be quite as extreme. For this experiment I did want to see the effect of the two different colors. Now to spin it up.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Delighted to see what you are doing colourwise to our wool :)

I have fond memories of visiting you in Oregon that time back in - crikey - what year was it?? 2001?? yikes...

Rosemary in the Falkland Islands

Anonymous said...

forgot to say... website badly needs updating but is now
www.falklandwool.com or .net
and though we don't sell wool direct nowadays we do have a distributor who sends all over the world :)

I am busy dyeing most days, tops and yarns both. Never seem to stop.

rosemary again...

beadlizard said...

Well, *I* like the extreme red to blue! Will you maintain the order, mix, ply opposite ends, or what??? --syl

Devorah said...

I, also, like the progression of colors. It should even out in the spinning. Are you going for one long sequence or are you going to split it? This is the kind of dyed roving that I love to spin!

Carrie K said...

Okay, this is about the first time that dyeing looked like fun. Can't wait to see it spun.

Ellen said...

What a great idea! I'll have to try that.